Easter is almost here! Spoil your family this weekend with homemade Hot Cross Buns. They’re super delicious and affordable, and nothing beats filling up your house with the smell of tasty Hot Cross Buns.
Hot Cross Buns
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ⅓ cup butter/marg
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast, mixed with 150ml warm water
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- Work flour, sugar, mixed spice and butter with your fingers.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Add the yeast, milk and beaten egg to the centre of the mixture and mix.
- Knead the mixture on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let it stand for an hour – during this time it should double in size.
- Knead raisins into raised dough.
- Separate the dough into 12 balls and put them on a baking tray, leaving a bit of room between each.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cover the tray with cling wrap and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- For the cross topping, mix flour and water together and, using a piping bag, shape out crosses on top of each bun. If you’d like to add a glossy finish to the buns, mix 1 teaspoon of water with 3 teaspoons of water and brush this mixture onto the buns.
- Put the buns in the oven for 15 minutes and then take out and enjoy!