It’s holiday season! So, why not spoil your family with a fun holiday treat? Cookies make great gifts and holiday snacks for any occasions with friends and family. Plus, you can spend quality time with your kids while making them!
Here’s our quick and affordable holiday cookie recipe:
- 2 ½ cups plain flour (and a little extra for rolling out the dough)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons golden syrup
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of water
- Food colouring (optional)
- Smarties (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl. Add butter. Beat the mixture until it’s crumbly then stir in sugar.
- Beat together egg and syrup together and add to the mixture. Once it’s all mixed, take the dough out of the bowl and knead it until it’s smooth. Place the dough in plastic cling wrap and leave it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Grease 2 baking trays.
- Flour surface and roll out dough to ½ cm thickness. Use gingerbread man shaped cookie cutters to cut the dough and place them onto the baking trays, leaving a small space between each one.
- Place in oven for about 15 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool.
- Mix icing sugar, water and a few drops of food colouring together. Using icing mixture and smarties, decorate the little gingerbread men.