With cold weather around the corner, it important for us to boost our family’s immune system. Eating certain healthy foods can keep our immune systems strong, preventing colds and the flu this winter.
Here’s a list of foods you need to put into your trolley the next time you visit the grocery store:
- Plain yogurt. Buy yogurt that contains live and active cultures, such as Greek yogurt. The cultures have properties in them that strengthen your immune system and help fight disease. Avoid flavoured, high in sugar yogurt. Buy plain yogurt and add sweet, natural and healthy fruits to it instead.
- Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, which is an effective antioxidant that the body converts into Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps your body fight disease.
- Citrus fruits. Vitamin C, which is found in citrus fruits, is essential for a healthy immune system. Eat grapefruits, lemons, oranges, limes, tangerines and clementines to get a great dose of vitamin C.
- Ginger. Ginger is known for its ability to decrease inflammation and nausea. Add ginger to meals, deserts and warm drinks.
- Green tea. Green tea is packed with flavonoids, EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which enhances your immune function and L-theanine, which may aid in the production of germ-fighting compounds in your T-cells.
- Spinach. Not only is spinach rich in vitamin C but it is also high in antioxidants and beta carotene.
- Almonds. Almonds are high in vitamin E, which is important for a strong immune system. Because vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin, eating almonds, a high in fat food, enables your body to absorb the vitamin effectively.
- Berries. Berries are a nutritional powerhouse. Their high levels of vitamin C and vitamin E are great for ensuring a healthy immune system.
- Garlic. Garlic can help lower your blood pressure and boost your immune system. It is high in sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin, which have great immune-boosting properties.
- Chicken. It’s time to make more chicken soup! Chicken helps prevent symptoms of a cold and protects you from sickness. It is high in vitamin B6, which assists in the production of healthy red blood cells.
Avoid trips to the doctor by eating healthy this winter. If you’re stressed about your current financial situation, contact Debt Rescue for assistance.