Winter has definitely arrived, and nothing tastes better than warming up with a nice cup of healthy soup. Soups are certainly a good staple food for the winter. It’s easy to make, healthy, filling and provides sustained energy for the whole day. As an added bonus, it is kind to your budget as well.
With soups, it is easy to stay within budget for the following reasons:
- You cook in bulk, and it freezes well
- You do not need to use fresh vegetables; frozen or canned vegetables tastes just as good
- You can bulk up with legumes and pasta
- You can go meat-free or use cheaper cuts of meat to add flavour
Here is a recipe that has everything you could possibly want in a soup: fast, simple, super healthy, cheap, low calorie and long lasting.
- 4x chicken breasts
- 2 packets of cream of chicken soup
- 400ml milk (can be substituted for a can of coconut milk)
- Noodles (optional)
- Corn (optional – frozen or can of whole kernel corn)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil chicken with water and salt in a pot for about 10mins
- Take chicken out and strip into pieces
- Mix cream of chicken soup with milk and add to the stock on boil
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for a further 15 mins, you can also add corn and pasta
- Stir occasionally
If you are struggling to feed your family due to large amounts of debt, please give Debt Rescue a call.