Are you spending too much money on clothes? We believe that taking care of your clothes is one of the best ways to save money. Here are our smart tips on how to keep your clothes newer for longer:
- Shop for quality over quantity. Although you can get stacks of clothing for next to nothing, rather shop for clothes that will last longer. This will save you money in the long run!
- Read clothing labels. Some clothes require special care. Read the labels to see if the clothes need to be hand washed, air dried, kept away from the iron, etc.
- Take action with stains. Don’t wait for nasty stains to soak into your clothes. Get rid of stains as soon as possible.
- Wash on a gentle cycle. Clothes can get damaged in the washing machine. A gentle cycle will ensure your clothes keep their original shape and quality for longer.
- Wash in cold water. Hot water can damage your clothe fibres and colours.
- Don’t tumble dry clothing. Rather air dry your clothes, not in direct sunlight if possible, to prevent the materials from shrinking, fading and weakening.
- Make your own detergent. Many detergents contain harmful chemicals that cause our clothes to wear out faster. Consider using baking soda and vinegar as alternatives to detergents and fabric softeners.
- Ditch the wire hangers. Wire hangers change the shape of your clothes. Rather opt for plastic or wooden coat hangers for hanging up your clothes.
- Wash your clothes inside out. This will prevent colour fading as well as reduce any damaging from zippers, buttons and decorations on the clothing.
- Always keep a needle and thread on hand. As soon as any little seam on your clothes comes undone, you can fix it right away.
If you are struggling to pay back clothing accounts, credit cards, house loans and any other debts, contact Debt Rescue for help.