After another night of Phase 2 load shedding, the National Energy Regulator and Eskom will meet today to discuss the power utility’s application for an additional tariff increase of 12.61%. The hike is mainly to pay for the added expense of using diesel to generate power to keep the lights on. Consumers are already paying over 10% more for electricity since April but the additional increase would take that up to over 25%. NERSA’s Charles Hlabele did not want to say too much about the meeting while Debt Rescue’s Neil Roets predicts dark times ahead for consumers – should NERSA grant this increase
Thank you for subscribing! Check your inbox.
- More South Africans turn to debt counselling as economic fallout hits home
- Calls mount for re-opening economy
- South Africans fear for their jobs
- Experts are pleading to get the economy back to work
- Pay day woes bite as economists predict the worst is still to come