After another night of Phase 2 load shedding, the National Energy Regulator and Eskom will meet today to discuss the power utility’s application for an additional tariff increase of 12.61%. The hike is mainly to pay for the added expense of using diesel to generate power to keep the lights on. Consumers are already paying over 10% more for electricity since April but the additional increase would take that up to over 25%. NERSA’s Charles Hlabele did not want to say too much about the meeting while Debt Rescue’s Neil Roets predicts dark times ahead for consumers – should NERSA grant this increase
Thank you for subscribing! Check your inbox.
- Covid-19 second wave hampers efforts to reduce debt
- South Africans must downgrade lifestyle, budget as economy continues to suffer
- Brace for a difficult couple of months ahead: experts
- Petrol price hike ‘foreshadows more economic shocks’
- 85% of South Africans in need of financial help, 55% has no access to credit