After another night of Phase 2 load shedding, the National Energy Regulator and Eskom will meet today to discuss the power utility’s application for an additional tariff increase of 12.61%. The hike is mainly to pay for the added expense of using diesel to generate power to keep the lights on. Consumers are already paying over 10% more for electricity since April but the additional increase would take that up to over 25%. NERSA’s Charles Hlabele did not want to say too much about the meeting while Debt Rescue’s Neil Roets predicts dark times ahead for consumers – should NERSA grant this increase
Thank you for subscribing! Check your inbox.
- Payment holidays to cost South Africans R20.7bn as experts warn of broken economy
- Drowning in debt, seeking multiple jobs – survey shows South Africans’ financial battle
- Alarm bells ring as South Africans fall deeper into debt
- Covid-19 has wiped out a third of South Africa’s middle class – study
- Doctors, lawyers and other top earners now applying for debt help in SA