CONSUMER debt will remain high despite the upcoming drop in fuel prices, a debt counsellor said yesterday. “The drop in the retail price of petrol of 45 cents a litre on Wednesday will bring welcome relief to deeply indebted South Africans, but the overall indebtedness of consumers remains a problem,” Debt Rescue chief executive Neil Roets said. South African consumers owed R1.44 trillion, leading many to seek the help of debt counsellors, he pointed out. – Sapa
Thank you for subscribing! Check your inbox.
- Calls mount for re-opening economy
- South Africans fear for their jobs
- Experts are pleading to get the economy back to work
- Pay day woes bite as economists predict the worst is still to come
- More than a million jobs on the line because of Covid-19 lockdown